Thursday, October 11, 2012

Conference Fun!

Fam!

How was conference? I definitely LOVED it, especially because this year I got to see it in English! Such a blessing. Spanish translators can only do so much, especially when it comes to personal stories and jokes. I especially loved President Eyring's and President Monson's talks on Sunday morning. I actually kinda felt like Joseph Smith after having received the First Vision...so much spiritual learning in such a short time period (I saw all 5 sessions, Saturday and Sunday), that I was basically sapped for strength at the end, even after having just sat in a chair all day. Can't believe that they will be building another temple in Peru (let's hope that speeds up the progress of the one here in Trujillo), and that the missionaries will now be leaving at 18 and 19 years old.

Had an awesome experience that I thought I should share with you all this week. We had an amazing lesson with an older lady named Ofelia, who is listening to us with her 10 year old daughter, Maria. Ofelia can't read, and so giving her the Book of Mormon and inviting her to start reading was a very tough moment for her. However, she faithfully enlisted her daughter to read to her at least 1 chapter every day, and Maria has kept up the pace. We asked her this week if she had prayed to know if the Book was true, and she exclaimed promptly, "Oh Elders, I KNOW it's true! Even though I haven't been able to read a single word for myself, when I prayed and asked God I felt so good inside, that I can barely describe the feeling to you. I know with all my heart it is true." I almost burst into tears to be honest, seeing the great faith of this woman. She couldn't read the Book of Mormon herself, but the fact that she took the time and effort to get her daughter to read it to her was amazing. I know that God saw that effort and has blessed her with a strong testimony of the book because of that. By the way, Maria will be getting baptized this Saturday, and we are working to get Ofelia married so that she can enter the waters of baptism too.

President Turk has challenged us all to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year, and I want to invite you guys to do the same. I too know this book is true, and that it changes lives. I hope you will always remember that there are people out there who don't know what we know, and simply need an invitation to do so. Share the Book of Mormon with someone today!

I love you all. Sorry that there aren't any pictures this week!
Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment