Monday, April 16, 2012

We are Huarmey...We are the Gringos...

Hello all

It really is funny how many people just stare at you in the streets when you are literally the only white guy for a hundred miles around. Some test their English on me, which is actually rather funny. One dude said Good Fight! the other day. Pretty sure he meant so say good night.

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TESS! Can we believe that she is 17 already? Seriously...when did everybody get so old?! I thought this day would never come. Sheesh, I am 20 for crying out loud. Anyway, hope it is a great one Beaux.

We have been having fun here in Huarmey. We committed to great young men, Jose and Erick, to baptism on the 28th of this month (consequently the last weekend of the change...just sneaking them under the bar eh?), and both came to church yesterday, which made me a very happy man! It was awesome to see them both there, listening and interacting with all the other church members. We really are working hard, and I think the Lord is finally letting us see the fruits of our labor.

On P-day, we climbed a giant dirt hill which overlooks the city, hence the pictures. You may notice now that it NEVER EVER rains here. Literally our entire surroundings are those dirt mountains, without a lick of vegetation on them. I imagine that it reminds Dad of Nevada when he was growing up. But really, in the 4 months that I have been here, it has never rained even once. Weird huh?



I have not been eating too many treats from Peru, since I have been snacking on the Easter candy you guys sent!  It is delicious!  I love the chicks, ducks & bunnies, but you were right, it was weird that they were mini.  Delicious, nonetheless.  I rely on the candy a lot because our new pensionista is even WORSE!  I know, I am having bad luck with food lately.  We eat a lot of pollo a la brasa (rotisserie chicken) in the streets.



I  miss you guys tons. Thanks for all the letters and stuff! I love hearing what you guys are doing.
Love to All,
Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment